Board Policies are developed to highlight and support the critical governance function of the Board. In addition to clearly defining the role of the Board, the role of the Director of Education and the delegation of authority from the Board to the Director of Education. Board Policies include the following:
- Foundational statements which provide guidance and direction for all activities within the Division;
- Directions for how the Board itself is to function and how individual trustees are to conduct themselves; how Board committees and representatives are to function;
- Statements as to how appeals and hearings will be conducted;
- Non-delegable matters such as policy-making and school closures; and
- Specific matters which the Board has chosen not to delegate to the Director of Education.
These Board Policies are intended to be supplemented by Administrative Procedures; the primary written documents by which the Director of Education directs staff. Administrative Procedures must be entirely consistent with these Board Policies.
The development of two separate and distinct documents is meant to reinforce the distinction in this Division between the Board’s responsibility to govern and the Director of Education’s executive or administrative duties.
The electronic versions of Board Policies are always the most current documents available.
Looking for more details on Administrative Procedures? Click here.