Mel Smith Music Scholarship
Mr. Melvin Smith was born in Lang, SK. Equipped with a sense of adventure, Mr. Smith travelled overseas in World War II, where he performed with a Canadian Services Band. Following the War, he experience living and working in a variety of places across North America which included spending 20 years in the restaurant business in California. Throughout the course of his life, one thing remained constant – that being his love for music and more specifically, his passion for the trombone. It was out of this spirited love of music that, in 2011, Mr. Melvin Smith established a scholarship to encourage and promote others to pursue their passion for music. The Mel Smith Music Scholarship is open to a graduate from Peacock, Central, Riverview, or Vanier Collegiate who has been a part of and made a significant contribution to a high school music program.
- Must be a graduate during the current school year.
- Must be continuing post-secondary studies at a recognized institution.
- Must have made a significant contribution to a high school music program.
There are no special considerations for this scholarship
- Must provide proof of acceptance into a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Must submit a Principal’s letter of reference.