COVID-19 Parent Letter, April 7th, 2021
April 7th, 2021
School division staff met today with Medical Health Officers from our local area as well as from Yorkton, and also with other Moose Jaw Public Health staff.
The purpose of our meeting was to understand the data connected to the transmission of COVID-19 variants in Moose Jaw and area so that we could make a decision about the need to either continue remote learning in Moose Jaw and area or return to face-to-face instruction on April 12th as planned. We have received lots of feedback on both sides of this decision from staff and parents and wanted to ensure that medical data was driving whatever decision we arrived at.
Both Medical Health Officers shared that they did not see a need for continued remote learning at this time. Data from Moose Jaw and Yorkton is consistent and shows that the processes that are in place in schools throughout Saskatchewan are working, and that it is safe for students and staff to return on April 12th. We asked about the situation in Regina and both doctors confirmed that, although we have many cases of the variant in Moose Jaw and area, the profile of transmission is different here than in Regina and we should be looking at the two situations differently in terms of the medical data available. Both Medical Health Officers agreed that community transmission was happening within family units and because of out-of-school behaviours, but that there was little risk of school transmission because of the precautions we have in place.
We will be returning to in-person learning beginning April 12th as previously planned. In the event that we see a time when Public Health staff believe safety is being compromised by having staff and students at school, we will make whatever adjustments we need to make to continue to assure student and staff safety, including a return to remote learning if necessary. As parents, you have a responsibility to continue to support safe behaviours including following all health restrictions and requiring your children to do the same. Please keep your children at home if they are feeling unwell. Your support of our work related to student and staff safety is critical to ensure that our schools remain open for in-person learning.
We understand that there will be a variety of perspectives connected to this decision. We remain confident that if we work together, we will be okay.
Director of Education
Chair, Board of Education