Research suggests that bilingualism has a positive impact on the cognitive development of children, making them more conscious of language structure, grammar and comprehension.
Prairie South offers three types of second-language opportunities:
- French Immersion programs are in place at the elementary and high school level in Moose Jaw and Gravelbourg. In immersion classes, French is spoken for the majority of the class time in all of the students’ subjects, thus students experience the language more intensely.
- Core French, which is a locally developed course option, is offered in more than half of the division’s schools. French is taught as a subject, with the goal being to impart:
- basic communication skills,
- language knowledge, and
- an appreciation of French culture in Canada and beyond.
- Intensive and Enhanced French, where students receive up to four times the number of hours of instruction normally devoted to core French, is offered at Palliser Heights School in Moose Jaw.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 26 August 2009 13:34